Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Herbs in South Africa


I am cutivating herbs here in South Africa on my farm. I tried to market fresh herbs, but the market is not there. People prefer buying dried herbs in a bottle. It is more convenient, but fresh herbs give much more aroma and taste in your food.
I am also trying to find out more about using herbs for horses. But most information I get is about herbs from overseas, mainly because England and America have been studying this for longer.
We have a weed growing here called Kaki Weed, and my horses love to eat it. It's internal propperties is good for gastritis, indigestion and intestinal worms. It is also used as an insecticide.
To my knowledge this weed is exotic. The British brought it over from England with the horse feed during the Boer War.
I will talk more about the herbs and their uses with my next posts, and more about my herb farm.

No comments: